Youth Sports & Athletics Task Force Work Continues
Task Force Recommendations
The recommendations of the Youth Sports & Athletics Task Force are:
Recommendation #1: The Oregon School District survey both students and parents (4K to Grade 12) about participation and non-participation in sports to better understand access, equity and opportunities or lack thereof, to benchmark participation numbers and to determine goals for the future. We suggest the research be conducted by an outside firm.
Responsible Parties: Oregon School District and Outside Research Firm; Timeline: February 2019
Status: Survey Completed
A survey was conducted with students and parents in February 2019. The study revealed the following insights:
- Results are consistent with national research and trends.
- The number one reason students participate in sports is "to have fun."
- Time is the most frequent reason cited for not participating in organized sports.
- There is an opportunity to share information and age-appropriate athletic expectations with parents.
- Continue to share research findings with and provide education to key stakeholders (e.g., parents, coaches, students, community)
- Continue to work with the parental / sports consortium group on programming and fostering a shared vision for the kind of experience we want our children to have when participating in sports.
- Explore additional opportunities for organized, non-organized, and recreational sports offerings (especially as our district grows).
- Find ways to offer opportunities to students and families who are not currently involved / participating in sports.
Recommendation #2: The Oregon School District and Oregon Youth Sports Organizations form a consortium to collaborate and develop best practices, shared beliefs and information processes in the areas of coach preparation and training, communication to families and concept of age-appropriate development/ seasons. Oregon School District physical education and health educators will also be included as members of the consortium.
Responsible Parties: OSD Athletic Director and Youth Sports Organization Leaders; Timeline: Begin Winter 2018/2019
Recommendation #3: Creation of an Advisory Council that is charged with developing tools and mechanisms to help parents become better educated in their role as a “sport parent” with the purpose of fostering their child’s development, ensuring that sports experiences are centered in learning and to help grow a strong and positive sports culture for our kids.
Responsible Party: New Parent Advisory Council; Timeline: Fall of 2018. Launch Winter of 2018/2019.
How to Learn More
Full reports and highlights from the February survey are available at: OregonSD.org/SportsTaskForce.