Open Enrollment

  • If the Oregon School District Board of Education determines there is availability in its schools, classes and/or programs, it shall allow nonresident students residing in the State of Wisconsin, who qualify, to enroll in the Oregon School District through an Open Enrollment Program during the forthcoming year in accordance with Wisconsin law.

    What is open enrollment?

    The inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend public school in a school district other than the one in which they reside. 

    Who can apply?

    Any Wisconsin resident in 4K to grade 12 may apply to attend a nonresident school district under the open enrollment program. However, a child may transfer to a nonresident school district for early childhood education or 4K only if the child’s resident school district offers the same type of program and only if the child is eligible for that program in the resident school district.

    When will the school board designate how many Open Enrollment spaces will be available for the upcoming school year?

    The Oregon School Board must designate regular and special education spaces at a January school board meeting.

    When can parents/guardians apply?

    The 2024-2025 Open Enrollment application window is February 5, 2024 - April 30, 2024 (4:00PM)Notice of Approval/Denial will be sent out by June 7, 2024.  

    How can parents/guardians apply?

    1. Apply On-line (recommended) at

    2. Although an on-line application is recommended, paper applications are available from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) or the Oregon School District, and must be delivered (hand delivery is recommended) to the Oregon School District during the application period.

    Can applications be denied?

    Both the nonresident and resident school districts may deny an application for reasons specified in state law.  If an application is denied by either the resident or nonresident school district, the parent may file an appeal with the DPI within 30 days. The DPI is required to affirm the school district’s decision unless the DPI determines that the decision was arbitrary or unreasonable.

    Tuition Waivers

    If a pupil moves from one school district to another school district, the pupil’s resident school district changes as a result. In most cases, the pupil enrolls and attends school in the new resident school district. However, often the pupil wishes to continue to attend the former school district. The pupil may do so under either a “tuition waiver due to a move” or public school open enrollment or both.

    For example, for a child who moves from District A to District B in October, a tuition waiver guarantees that the child may continue to attend District A for the remainder of that school year. However, the child may only continue to attend District A in future years if the pupil applies and is approved for open enrollment in District A.

    In some cases, the pupil may move from District A to District B and wants to attend school in District C. In this case, the pupil is not eligible for a tuition waiver and must apply for open enrollment. The pupil may either apply during the annual February-April application period in anticipation of the move or may apply at the time of the move using the alternative application procedure.